Frequently Asked Questions
- Q:Does Guitar Center Foundation have any music education programs of its own?
A:At this time, Guitar Center Foundation is strictly a granting organization that selects music education programs from across the United States to receive instruments and equipment.
- Q:Is Guitar Center Foundation open to having people or organizations raise money for them?
A:Yes. We are happy to be the beneficiary for many types of events/projects. Please contact us if you are interested before doing so, however.
- Q:Other than making a donation, how can I help Guitar Center Foundation?
A:Because we are a granting organization, we primarily need funds via donations or purchases. However, if you are an artist, please refer to our advocacy packet for more information.
- Q:Does Guitar Center Foundation offer donations in any form other than a grant?
A:Not at this time. Our grant application helps us to find deserving organizations that fit within the criteria that has been established by our Board of Directors.
- Q:Does Guitar Center Foundation work with any organizations that are based outside the United States of America?
A:Though we gratefully receive donations from people and companies around the world, we are not legally set up to award grants to organizations based outside the United States of America. If we award a grant to an international organization, their main office must be in the United States, and the grant must be used by one of their United States programs.
A:Guitar Center Foundation is committed to protecting your privacy. We use our customers’ and donors’ contact information to process orders and provide customer service. We may also use this information to periodically contact customers and donors about foundation news, donation opportunities, events or fundraising efforts. We will not sell our customers’ and donors’ contact information to any third parties.
- Q:Can I make a donation in honor or in memory of someone?
A:Yes. Just supply their name with your check or in the comments section of the online donation form. If you would also like us to mail a letter that person or their family, we would be happy to do so as well; just supply their name(s) and address(es). If you would like to make a donation in honor of a celebrity musician, we would be happy to notify them of your donation as well.
- Q:Will you send me a receipt for my tax records if I make a donation?
A:Yes. Your donation is tax deductible.
- Q:Can I donate instruments to Guitar Center Foundation?
A:We definitely appreciate the support, but it would depend on our warehouse space and resources at the time. If we do have the space and resources, we would gladly accept instruments if they are clean and playable. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
- Q:Are my purchases from your store tax deductible?
A:Purchases are not tax deductible because you are receiving an item of value in exchange for your payment
- Q:Are the things you sell in the online music memorabilia store really authentic?
A:Yes, all of the items have been signed while in the presence of a Guitar Center Music Foundation representative. We provide a certificate of authenticity with each purchase.
- Q:What is the foundation’s return policy?
A:Our goal is that you are satisfied with your purchase. We take pride in the quality of the products we sell, and offering great customer service is our top priority. Returns will be accepted only if the return is sent within 7 days of the delivery confirmation date. A full refund of the purchase price, excluding the shipping, will be made promptly upon receiving the merchandise in the same condition in which it was shipped. There are no refunds on items damaged in shipping. In that case, you would file a claim with the carrier. Orders that are paid for with a credit card and returned will be assessed a $3.00 processing fee.
- Q:What is the foundation’s shipping policy?
A:The foundation ships items within two business days of receiving payment. The foundation take great care in packaging the items and will ship them via FedEx or USPS depending on the item and the price. Buyers who purchased signed music memorabilia will be required to sign for the shipped item. The foundation only ships the item to the address of the credit card or verified by PayPal, depending on the method of payment. Shipping fees are not refundable under any circumstance. If a customer does not accept the package or provide an incorrect shipping address, the customer is responsible for all fees incurred.
Contacting Guitar Center
- Q:How do I get a donation from Guitar Center?
A:Guitar Center, Inc., a separate entity from Guitar Center Foundation, awards donations through its Charity Team. They receive requests via fax at 818-735-0239. They do not receive any other form of communication. Guitar Center Foundation cannot supply any further information about or for Guitar Center’s Charity Team.
- Q:My program is not a 501c3 or governmental, could it still apply for a grant?
A:No, the foundation’s grants can only be awarded to 501c3 nonprofits in the United States or governmental programs, like public schools. It is not set up to donate to any other types of organizations.
- Q:What are your deadlines for receiving grant candidate forms and grant applications?
A:All dates relevant to our grant application or grant candidate form are available on this page of our website.
- Q:Will I be notified if my program is selected or not?
A:Only selected programs will be notified.
- Q:What do you mean by “Please describe the specific program (and curriculum) that would receive the grant”?
A:This is the most important answer in the whole application. Your answer should clearly describe exactly how the music program works, what the music program looks like and how the participants are taught how to make music – in detail. If it is necessary, for clarification purposes, you may also use this space to explain what the umbrella organization or school does. Otherwise, this answer should only describe the music program. Please note that only about 40% of the applications we receive supply enough information for this answer.
- Q:My application won’t go through online because I am not answering a question or attaching a required document. What do I do?
A:Incomplete applications will not be considered. In order to apply for a grant, every question and attachment must be complete.
- Q:We don’t have a budget. How do I get around this?
A:You cannot get around it. If you do not have a budget, put one together so that we can see where the program’s money/donated items come from and what the funds are spent on. If the organization currently receives no funding at all but does receive donated items, those items should be listed on the budget. If the organization does not receive anything from anybody, it is okay to create a Word document that states, “My program/organization has not received any funds or donated items and does not plan to for the year.” (It is very rare that this is the case and usually only applies to school music programs.)
- Q:The application is telling me that my e-mail address is incorrect, but it’s not. What do I do?
A:You can use the e-mail address email@example.com, but please provide the correct e-mail address in the comments field at the end of the application.
- Q:Can I just e-mail, fax or mail the information requested in the grant application and not submit it electronically?
A:No. All grant applications must be submitted through the online application. No part of this application is accepted via e-mail, fax or mail. There are no exceptions.
- Q:Should I apply for a grant even though I probably don’t qualify?
A:No. Please do not fill out a grant application if you do not fit within the qualifications stated on our “Grants Info” page. Any applications that do not qualify will not be considered. We understand that many different people and organizations need financial assistance, but as a small nonprofit ourselves, we cannot help everybody and must limit our mission to those we can help the most with our resources.
- Q:How do I know if my application goes through?
A:After you click “Submit,” you will know the form went through successfully because a message will pop up on the screen saying that your responses have been recorded. The system does not send an email acknowledging receipt of your application.
- Q:Do you offer scholarships?
A:No. Guitar Center Foundation does not award funds to individuals in any way, including scholarships. The foundation has set parameters for its funding.
- Q:Do you sponsor events?
A:No. Guitar Center Foundation is a charity.
- Q:How do I send supplemental information that was not requested on the grant application?
A:Please do not send any supplemental information that was not requested. It will not be considered.
- Q:Can I reapply for a grant?
A:Yes, at this time eligible programs may apply once per calendar year.
- Q:If we receive a grant what is required of us?
A:Please refer to our Agreement Form.